I was interested in visual astronomy. I wanted to observe in real time.
I wanted the largest proportion of my budget to be spent on the mirror, focuser and mount which needed to be secure and stable.
I wanted a telescope that would be capable of viewing solar system objects, binary stars and where possible, Dark Sky Objects.
The stunning, bright, retina blowing and almost 3D quality live view of the Great Cluster M13 cannot be matched by any flat digital image.
I had reasonable and realistic expectations of what I would be able to see from my location. The stunning, bright, retina blowing and almost 3D quality live view of the Great Cluster M13 cannot be matched by any flat digital image.
I read lots of online reviews from experienced and new users who used and recommended the Dobsonian mounted reflector.
I chose the Skywatcher 200P Skyliner Classic 8″ Dobsonian as it was a solid foundation scope that met my needs in terms of aperture, weight and size (for transportation), quality (optics, focuser, mount) and cost.
- How to buy a telescope (National Space Centre) https://spacecentre.co.uk/blog-post/how-to-buy-a-telescope
- What to know before buying a telescope? (Sky & Telescope Magazine) https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/what-to-know-before-buying-a-telescope
- What Can You See With Different Telescopes (Deep-Sky Watch) http://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/what-can-i-see-through-telescope.html
- How to choose a telescope (Sky & Telescope Magazine) https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-equipment/how-to-choose-a-telescope
- How to choose your first telescope (Sky at Night Magazine) https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/a-buyers-guide-to-telescopes-choosing-your-first-scope
- Thinking of buying a telescope? (Virginia Teck Department of Physics) http://www1.phys.vt.edu/~jhs/dobsonian.html
- Hobby Killers: What telescopes not to buy (Sky & Telescope Magazine) https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-equipment/choosing-astronomy-equipment/hobby-killers-what-telescopes-not-to-buy
- An absolute beginner’s quick-guide to choosing your first telescope (r/telescopes reddit group) https://www.reddit.com/r/telescopes/comments/i0tzkw/an_absolute_beginners_quickguide_to_choosing_your
- Beginner Telescopes Guide (First Light Optics) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html
- “What telescope should I get?” (r/telescopes reddit group) https://www.reddit.com/r/telescopes/comments/847n0i/for_anyone_posting_what_telescope_should_i_get
- Telescopes for children (Gregory Brannon)
- I would also recommend watching this YouTube video by AstroBackyard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JHu4sGwl0Y
- A great video comparing different Dobsonian sizes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qVXy7SDDo4&t=1104s